The Home Counties
news and information from the official Essex county cricket site. Visit
the online Essex shop for a wide range of cricketing gear. Statistics
on contracted players. The club offers a wide range of coaching for
cricketers of all ages and abilities, a run down on courses available.
|Blimey! Latest news an'
infawmashun from da official Essex coun'y cricket site. Visi' da online
Essex shop fer a wide range ov cricketin' gear. Statistics on
contracted players. The club offers a wide range ov coachin' fer
cricketers ov all ages an' abilities, a run down on caaahrses
available. Nuff said, yeah?
The formation of the original Kent County Cricket Club took place in
Canterbury in August 1842, and played its initial first-class match
against All-England that same month. On March 1 1859 there was a
substantial reorganisation and the present Kent CCC was formed. Kent
had been proclaimed Champion County in 1837, and held the title through
most of the 1840s. However, they did not claim it again before the
formation of the County Championship as we know it in 1890.
Kent Fixtures 2010
|Lawd above! The fawmashun ov da original Ken' Coun'y Cricket
Club an' allk place in Can'erbury in August 1842, an' played its
initial first-class match against All-England what same month. On March
1 1859 there was a substantial reorganisashun an' da presen' Ken' CCC
was fawmed. Ken' 'ad been proclaimed Champion Coun'y in 1837, an' 'eld
da title fruff most ov da 1840s. However, they did not claim i' again
befawer da fawmashun ov da Coun'y Championship as we know i' in 1890.,
to the site for the Middlesex Crusaders! Competitions, interactive
games, quizzes, even online coaching. it's all about cricket. Details
on the club, the players, match reports and training courses offered by
the club. Enter the corporate area if you are interested in sponsorship
|Awright geeezzaa! Welcome ter da site fer da Middlesex
Crusaders! Competishuns, in'eractive games, quizzes, even online
coaching. It's all abaaaht cricket. Details on da club, da players,
match repawts an' trainin' caaahrses offered by da club. En'er da
corpawate area if yew are in'erested in sponsorship awer advertising.
Its limited overs team is called the Surrey Brown Caps. The club is the
most financially secure first class county club, with a turnover of
£22 million in 2006. The club's home since its foundation in 1845
has been The Oval cricket ground (currently known officially as the
'Brit Oval' following a sponsorship deal with the Brit insurance
company), within the Kennington area of Lambeth in south London. Some
home games each season are also played at Whitgift School, Croydon and
at Woodbridge Road, Guildford. The traditional club colours are
chocolate brown and silver. The club badge is the Prince of Wales'
three feathers. Lord Rosebery obtained the permission to use this
symbol from the Prince of Wales, owner of the land on which The Oval
stands, in 1915. Surrey
|Gawdon Bennet! Its limited overs team is called da Surrey
Brown Caps. The club is da most financially secure first class coun'y
club, wiv a turnover ov £22 million in 2006. The club's 'ome
since its foundashun in 1845 'as been The Oval cricket ground
(currently known officially as da 'Bri' Oval' followin' a sponsorship
deal wiv da Bri' insurance company), wivin da Kennington area ov Lambef
in sowf London. Some 'ome games each season are also played at Whitgift
School, Croydon an' at Woodbridge Road, Guildford. The tradishunal club
colaaahrs are chocolate brown an' silver. The club badge is da Prince
ov Can'erbury Tales' free fearfers. Lord Rosebery obtained da
permission ter use dis symbol from da Prince ov Can'erbury Tales, owner
ov da land on which The Oval stands, in 1915. OK?
Click On Team of Your Choice
Lor' Awright geeezzaa! The Angles & Wessaxens came 'ere fer a visi'
1515 years ago an' liked i' so much they 'ave stayed.
Riding- Meet New Friends-
Get Fit. It's Fun
prefered County Stable door to view the the Wessex Counties
Riding Stables & Tuition & other Equine sections or the
Lawd above! Click on yaaahr prefered Coun'y Stable Ronald de Boer
ter view da da Wessex Counties
Horse Ridin' Stables & Tuishun & uvver Equine secshuns awer da
table below. , innit.
saaahrces such as da History ov Bede, after da invasion ov Britannia,
da Angles spli' up an' founded da kingdoms ov da Nord Angelnen
(Northumbria), Ost Angelnen (East Anglia), an' da Mittlere Angelnen
(Mercia). Confirmashun is afforded by English an' Danish tradishuns
relatin' ter two kings named Wermund an' Offa ov Angel, from whom da
Mercian royal family claimed descen' an' whose exploits are connected
wiv Angeln, Schleswig, an' Rendsburg. Danish tradishun 'as preserved
record ov two governors ov Schleswig, farfer an' son, in their service,
Frowinus (Freawine) an' Wigo (Wig), from whom da royal family ov Wessex
claimed descent. Durin' da 5f century, da Anglii invaded Great Britain,
after which time their name does not recur on da continen' except in da
title ov Suevi Angili.
Our Group 'as generated over 380 million visits ter
aaahr sites since 1999, an' dis is yaaahr oppawtuni'y ter participate
in da success. Join up wiv deese leadin' UK advertisin' sites ter
maximise yaaahr website's viewin' in Britain. Sorted mate.
Following the virtual abandonment of the
Roman city, the area's strategic location on the River Thames meant
that the site was not deserted for long. From the late 5th century,
Anglo-Saxons began to inhabit the area.
There is almost no reliable evidence about
what happened in the London area during the Sub-Roman "Dark Age" period
from around 450 AD to 600
AD. Although early Anglo-Saxon settlement avoided the area immediately
around Londinium, there was occupation on a small scale of much of the
hinterland on both sides of the river. There is no contemporary
literary evidence, but the area must for some time have been an active
frontier between Saxons and Britons.
Early Anglo-Saxon settlement in the London
area was not on the site of the abandoned Roman city, although the
Roman city walls remained intact.
Instead, by the 7th century a village and
trading centre named Lundenwic, was established approximately
one mile (1.6km) to the west of Londinium (named Lundenburh
or "London Fort" by the Saxons Probably using the mouth of the
River Fleet as a trading ship and fishing boat harbour.
Lundenwic in the early eighth century, was
described by the Venerable Bede as "a trading centre for many nations
who visit it by land and sea". The word "wic" was an Old English word for 'trading town' ,
so Lundenwic literally meant 'London trading town'.
Archaeologists were for many years
puzzled as to where early
Anglo-Saxon London was located, as they could find little evidence of
occupation within the Roman city walls from this period. However in the
1980s it was 'rediscovered' after extensive excavations were
reinterpreted as of an urban character by archaeologists Alan Vince and
Martin Biddle working independently . Recent
excavations in the Covent Garden
area have uncovered the extensive Anglo-Saxon settlement dating back
into the 7th century. The excavations show that the settlement covered
about 600,000 square metres, stretching from the present-day National
Gallery site in the west to Aldwych in the east.
By about 600 AD Anglo-Saxon England had
become divided into a number of small kingdoms (see Heptarchy) From the
mid-6th century, the London area was incorporated into the East Saxons kingdom, which extended as far
west as St Albans and included all of later Middlesex, and probably
Surrey too for a time.In 604 Saeberht of the East Saxons converted to
Christianity and London received Mellitus, its first post-Roman bishop.
At this time Essex owed allegiance to the Bretwalda Ethelbert of Kent, and it was under
Ethelbert that Mellitus founded the first St.
Paul's Cathedral, traditionally said to be on the site of an old
Roman Temple of Diana (although Christopher Wren
found no evidence of this). This would have only been a modest church
at first and may well have been destroyed after he was expelled from
the city by Saeberht's pagan successors in 616. Christianity did not
return until around 675 when Theodore of Tarsus installed St Eorconweald as bishop.
The new town came under direct Mercian
control in c.670 as the East Saxon kingdom of which it had once been
part was gradually reduced in size and status. After the death of the
Mercian king Offa in 796, control of London was disputed between Mercia
Attacks from Vikings
became increasingly common from around 830 onwards. London was attacked
in 842 in a raid that was described by a chronicler as the "great
slaughter". In 851 another raid on London, reputedly involving 350
ships, came to plunder the city.
In 865 the Viking "Great Heathen Army"
launched a large scale invasion of East Anglia and soon overran East
Anglia, Mercia and Northumbria and came close to controlling most of
England. By 871
they had reached London, and are believed to have camped within the old
Roman walls during the winter of that year. Although it is unclear what
happened during this time, London may have come under Viking control
for a period.
In 878 however, English forces led by King
Alfred the Great defeated the Vikings at the Battle of Edington and
forced the Viking leader Guthrum to
sue for peace. The Treaty of Wedmore and the later Treaty of Alfred and
Guthrum divided England into Alfred's Saxon controlled kingdom and
Danish controlled Danelaw
English rule in London was restored by 886.
King Alfred quickly set about establishing fortified towns or "Burhs"
across England to improve defences, London was no exception. Within ten
years, settlement within the old Roman walls was re-established, but
known as Lundenburh. The Roman walls were repaired and the
defensive ditch re-cut. This move was effectively the beginning of the
present City of London, the boundaries of which are still to some
extent defined by the ancient city walls.
As the focus of the city was moved back to
within the old Roman walls, the older settlement of Lundenwic
was largely abandoned and gained the name of Ealdwic or "old
settlement". The name survives today as Aldwych.
Alfred appointed his son-in-law Earl
Aethelred of Mercia, who was the heir to the destroyed Kingdom of
Mercia, as Governor of London and established two defended Boroughs to defend the bridge which was
probably rebuilt at this time. The southern end of the Bridge was
established as the Borough of Southwark or Suthringa Geworc
(defensive work of the men of Surrey) as it was originally known. From
this point, the City of London began to develop its own unique local
After Aethelred's death, London came
under the direct control of English kings. The Kingdom of England
established by Alfred was expanded by his son Edward the Elder who won
back much land from Danish control. By the early 10th century London
had become an important commercial centre. Although the capital of the
Kingdom of England was in Winchester, London became increasingly
important as a political centre. King Aethelstan held many Royal
Councils in London and issued laws from there. King Aethelred the Unready favoured London as
his capital and issued the Laws of London
there in 978.
It was during the reign of Aethelred that
Viking raids began again, led by King Sweyn Forkbeard of Denmark.
London was attacked unsuccessfully in 994, but numerous raids followed.
By 1013 London underwent a long siege and Aethelred fled abroad. King
Sven died but his son Canute continued the attacks, and the following
year overran the city.
Aethelred returned with his ally Olaf of
Norway to reclaim London. A Norse saga
tells of a battle during the Viking occupation where Aethelred returned
to attack Viking-occupied London. According to the saga, the Danes
lined London Bridge
and showered the attackers with spears. Undaunted, the attackers pulled
the roofs off nearby houses and held them over their heads in the
boats. Thus protected, they were able to get close enough to the bridge
to attach ropes to the piers and pull the bridge down, thus ending the
Viking occupation of London. There is some speculation that the nursery
rhyme "London Bridge is falling down" stems from this incident.
Following Aethelred's death in 1016, his
son Edmund Ironside
was declared king. The Vikings however returned and again placed London
under siege. Initially the city's defenders were able to hold back the
invaders. However, Edmund was eventually forced to share power with
Canute. When Edmund died Canute became the sole King of England. After
two short lived Danish kings, (Harold Harefoot and Harthacanute) the
Anglo-Saxon line was restored when Canute's stepson Edward the
took up the throne in 1042.
Run up to
the Norman invasion
Following Edward's death, no clear heir was
apparent, and his cousin, Duke William of
Normandy, claimed the throne. The Royal Council, however, met in
the city and elected the dead King's brother-in-law, Harold Godwinson
(The Earl of Wessex)
as King. He was crowned in Westminster Abbey. William, outraged by
this, then sent an army to invade England. on 11th of October 1066
Harold marched his army out of London.At Hastings, on 15
October 1066, the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom ended and Norman England began.
The Kingdoms were demolished and replaced by counties.
If you are coming to London you will need to know Rhyming Cockney
otherwise you will not understand what the natives are talking
Full Details are available on
There is a handy transalator on the page.
What is Cockney rhyming slang?
rhyming slang is not a language but a collection of phrases used by
Cockneys and other Londoners.
St Mary Le Bow church in Cheapside, London
A true Cockney
is someone born within the sound of Bow Bells. (St Mary-le-Bow Church
in Cheapside, London).
term Cockney is now loosely applied to many born outside this area as
long as they
have a "Cockney" accent or a Cockney heritage.
Cockney accent is heard less often in Central London these days but is
widely heard in the outer London boroughs, the London suburbs and all
across South East England. It is common in Bedfordshire towns like
Luton and Leighton Buzzard, and Essex towns such as Romford.
Rhyming Slang phrases are derived from
taking an expression which rhymes with a word and then using that
expression instead of the word. For example the word "look" rhymes with
"butcher's hook". In many cases the rhyming word is omitted - so you
won't find too many Londoners having a "bucher's hook" at this site,
but you might find a few having a "butcher's".
rhyming word is not always omitted so Cockney expressions can vary in
their construction, and it is simply a matter of convention which
version is used.
rhyming slang for parts of the body
this list of example Cockney slang for parts of the body, you'll notice
that some expressions omit the rhyming word but others do not.
Cockney Rhyming Slang?
Cockney Rhyming Slang originated in the
East End of London. Some slang expressions have escaped from London and
are in popular use throughout the rest of Britain. For example "use
your loaf" is an everyday phrase for the British, but not too many
people realise it is Cockney Rhyming Slang ("loaf of bread: head").
There are many more examples of this unwitting use of Cockney Rhyming
has raised awareness of Cockney
Rhyming Slang to far greater heights. Classic TV shows such as "Steptoe
and Son", "Minder", "Porridge" and "Only Fools and Horses" have done
much to spread the slang throughout Britain and to the rest of the
Rhyming Slang dead?
Not on your Nelly! Cockney Rhyming Slang
may have had its highs and lows but today it is in use
as never before.
the last few years hundreds of brand new slang expressions have been
invented - many betraying their modern roots, eg "Emma Freuds:
hemorrhoids"; (Emma Freud is a TV and radio broadcaster) and "Ayrton
Senna": tenner (10 pound note).
How is Cockney
Cockney slang that is being developed today tends to only rhyme words
with the names of celebrities or famous people. There
are very few new Cockney slang expressions that do not follow this
trend. The only one that has gained much ground recently that bucks
this trend is "Wind and Kite" meaning "Web site".
expressions are being exported from London all over the world. Here at
cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk we get loads of enquiries from folks as far
afield as the USA, Canada and Japan, all wanting to know the meaning of
|Adam and Eve
|House to let
|Jack the Ripper
|Jack 'n' Jill
|Apples and pears
|Ball of Chalk
|Bees 'n' honey
||piddle (Just off for a Jimmy)
|Bottle and glass
|Bow & arrow
|Bubble and squeak
|Loaf of bread
|Butcher' s hook
|Cain & Able
|Mutt and Jeff
|Coach 'n' badge
||cadge (get money off)
|Plates of meat
|Cock 'n' hen
||ten or £10
|Rabbit 'n' pork
|Rub a Dub Dub
|Dig in the grave
|Salmon and trout
|Dog and bone
|Six to four
|Duke of Kent
|Skin 'n' blister
|Frog and toad
|Taters in the mould
|Tit for tat
|Tom and Dick
|Ham and eggs
|Trouble and strife
|Two and Eight
|Heap of coke
|Hen 'n' fox
|Whistle and Flute
PEARLY KINGS & QUEENS OF LONDON
|Gawdon Bennet! Ken Livingstone Eat Yaaahr
Horse an' Cart Out. OK?
|Blimey! All Aboard. Nuff said, yeah?
in London university halls
One of the great
traditions at the Epsom horseracing course, on the
southern outskirts of London, on Derby Day is the arrival of the Pearly
King and Queen in their decorated donkey-cart.
The Pearly Royals
started in Victorian days and some still reign today in their various
'Pearlies' were costermonger's…street vendors of fruit and vegetables,
and their distinctive costumes are said to have sprung from the arrival
of a big cargo of pearl-buttons from Japan in the 1860's.
seems that one of the costers sewed some of the buttons round the edge
of his wide-bottomed trousers, and the fashion caught on.
Traditionally, costers elected 'Kings' to
lead them against bullies seeking to drive them from their pitches.
Each individual area of London
had a king and his 'donah', (as the wives are called) and both were
elaborately turned out. The
magnificent suits, hats and dresses, handed down together with
hereditary titles, are sewn with mystic symbols, stars, moons, suns,
flowers, diamonds, Trees of Life, Eyes of God and fertility designs.
outfit can have as many as 30,000 buttons on it and can weigh as much
as 30 kilograms or more. These suits are worn at charity events,
christenings, weddings and funerals.
Where there is a
special charity drive the kings and queens ride in splendour on their
the annual autumn Harvest Festival service at St. Martin-in-the-Fields
church in London, the Pearly princesses take bouquets of vegetables as
thank - offerings.
Today, around 30 Pearly
Families continue the tradition to raise money for various
charities.Each London Borough has a King and
Queen, as do the City of London and the City of Westminster. It's a
colourful London tradition and one that has been kept alive by a few
dedicated people, who remain figureheads for the capital's working
will be very sad if the tradition of the Pearly King and Queen dies
out, as they are a very colourful part of
Long live the Pearly Kings and Queens!
tradition of the Pearly Kings and Queens began in 1875, by a small lad
named Henry Croft.
was born and raised in an orphanage in Charlton Street, Somers Town,
London, NW1. At the age of 13 he had to leave the orphanage and make
his own way in life. His first job was as a Municipal Road Sweeper in
the market of Somers Town. Henry worked hard in the market and soon
made many friends, he was particularly drawn to the Costermongers who
were a tough breed of market traders. He got to know more about their
way of life, their generosity and their fashion of smoke pearl buttons
sewn on the piped seams of their trousers, jackets, waistcoats and
caps. This showed their status as they worked the market stalls from
day to day. The Costermongers were caring and looked after each other
if they were sick or in need.
so fascinated by this way of life and decided he would like to help
those who were more unfortunate than himself, including the children
back at the orphanage where he had spent his early life. He knew that
in order to collect a lot of money he needed to draw attention to
himself. So as Henry swept the market streets he started to collect all
the pearl buttons he found that had fallen off of the clothes of people
visiting the market, and when he had enough he started to sew them on
his cap and then continued until his entire suit was filled, the very
first smother suit.
an orphan he had no one to help him with his suit so he had to learn
how to sew. It was this that started the tradition, which is still
carried on by descendants of original Pearly Families, that the Kings
do all the designs and sewing.
Designs on suits tend to run in families
but here are a few that you may see and recognise:
Horseshoe = Luck
Doves = Peace
Heart = Charity
Anchor = Hope
Cross = Faith
Wheel = Circle of Life
Symbols of Playing Cards = Life is a gamble
Flower Pots = Costermongers
Donkey Carts = Costermongers
Croft was in so much demand for his charity work, as many of London's
hospitals, workhouses and orphanages needed help, that he turned to his
friends the Costermongers and they did not let him down. Many of the
Costermongers became the first Pearly Families. There were 28 families,
one for each of the London boroughs, one for the City of Westminster,
and one for the City of London.
Each outfit can
hold many tens of thousands of buttons on it and can weigh as much as
30 kilograms or more. There are two types of suit - a Smother Suit and
a Skeleton Suit, the former having very little cloth showing and
totally covered in buttons, and the latter having far fewer buttons.
is estimated that when he died in 1930 (aged 68), he had collected over
£5000. The equivalent in today's values would be approximately
funeral was a spectacular affair, and was filmed by Pathe News. All of
the Pearlies attended (roughly 400) and they followed the coffin to
where Henry was buried. The charities that he had helped over the year
all pulled together to help pay for a statue of Henry for his grave.
Unfortunately in 1995 the statue was vandalised and no longer stands in
the cemetery. It has been replaced with a headstone, inlaid with
Henry's photograph, so it can be easily found by visitors.
has now been fully restored and can be seen in the crypt at the church
of St. Martins in the Field, Trafalgar Square.
Pearly tradition has survived for over 125 years and hopefully it will
continue for many more to come. We still have a few families who can be
traced back to the original generation of Pearlies. Henry Croft's
family still carries on the tradition with his Great-Granddaughter
wearing the title of 'Somers Town'.
By Jon Arrowsmith, the
Pearly King of Walthamstow
Lambeth Walk is
a walk, a song, a dance, two films, a photograph, a
market and a street in Kennington .The original "Lambeth Walk" was an
evening promenade by the
predominantly poor residents of North Lambeth:- that is the area around
Black Prince Road.The Song The walk was
popularised by Noel Gay who wrote the song Doin'
the Lambeth Walk with its catchy tune for the 1937 Douglas
Furber musical comedy Me and My Girl.
The main verse of The Lambeth Walk is:-
Any time you’re Lambeth way
Any evening, any
You ’ll find us all
Doin’ the Lambeth
walk. ... Oi!
Lambeth Walk also became a very popular walking dance, done in a
jaunty, strutting fashion. The hero of the musical was Bill
Snibson, the black sheep of an aristocratic family, who inherited the
BRITISH KING GETS LESSON FROM 'LAMBETH
King George and Queen Elizabeth saw the "Lambeth Walk" show, "Me and My
Gal" at the Victoria Palace Theatre . The Queen wore a white
slipper-satin gown, a white fox cape and two gardenias in her hair. The
King, in evening dress, wore a gardenia in his buttonhole. Both joined
in the shouted "Oi" which ends the Lambeth Walk chorus. Lupino Lane,
star of the show, was presented to the King and Queen after the
performance. "They said they had been walking the Lambeth Walk the
wrong way - the ballroom way - and promised to do it our way in the
Brown" is a 1938 song composed by Harris Weston and Bert Lee. It became
a popular pub song, and was particularly associated with Cockney
culture. The expression "knees up" came to mean a party or a dance
"Oh, knees up Mother Brown,
Knees up Mother Brown,
Come along, dearie, let it go
It's your blooming birthday
Let's wake up all the town;
So knees up, knees up
Don't get the breeze up
Knees up Mother Brown!"
Staying in London
university accommodation is a convenient and
affordable way to stay in London. With brand-new rooms
in 2008) from £40, it is a comfortable and cost
to staying in a hostel or a hotel. We
currently have self-catered accommodation
in Victoria: an
extremely central location and a perfect starting point from which
explore the city, being walking distance from both Buckingham Palace
and the Houses of Parliament.Availability is mainly in the
summer vacation period (June, July,
August, September), when students clear their rooms. Rooms
become available two to three months in advance, so please revisit
website within that period if nothing is available now.
Click here for Bed & Breakfast at
The University of London
from Landlords - our rooms include all bills, wireless internet &
maintenance. Now you (professionals or students) in your 20s or 30s can
reserve or view cheap rooms in London well within your budget with
prices that will beat hostel accommodation...Click Below